2013 Canson® Prize
for Art and Paper
The Canson® Fund for Art and Paper is a partner of the 2013 edition of Art Paris Art Fair. The five finalists of the 2013 Canson® Prize are presented at the fair. The prize is awarded to an artist whose work demonstrates real innovation in the world of Art and Paper.
The five finalists have been selected by a jury presided by artist Chinese Yan PEI-MING. Their work is exhibited on the four southern and northern walls of the Grand Palais. The jury will meet during the fair to choose the winner of the 2013 Canson® Prize. The name of the winner will be revealed on 4th June at the Petit Palais where the work of the 39 short-listed artists will be exhibited from 4th to 16th June 2013
The 5 finalists if the Canson® 2013 Prize are:
- Virginia CHIHOTA (Zimbabwe), born in 1983, is a graduate of the National Art Gallery Studios Harare (Zimbabwe). Her works in engraving, painting, printing and silk-screen reveal a strict discipline in her approach to drawing.
- Mathias DUVILLE (Argentina), born in 1974, studied visual arts at Mar del Plata. His exploratory drawings are inspired by travlleing and history. They are already part of numerous collections.
- Emmanuel REGENT (France), born in 1978 is a graduate of the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris. The images in his drawings seem in a state of flux, appearing and disapparing and playing on dimension as a way of creating space.
- Alexander SCHELLOW (Germany), born in 1974, he studied visual arts at the Berlin University of the Arts and then at the Glasgow School of Art. Since 1999, his drawing practice has been based on performance and the reconstruction of visual memory. He works with a number of graphic techniques creating works on paper, installations and books.
- Jorinde VOIGT (Cermany), was born in 1977. She first studied literature and philosophy and then gratudated from Berlin University of the Arts and later the Royal College of Art in London. She approaches in drawing with an extremely elegant hand.
Who will be the next winner after last year’s Dutch artist Ronald Cornelissen, to be announced on 4th June 2013 at Petit Palais, Musée des Beaux-Arts de la Ville de Paris ?
Jury of the Canson® 2013 Prize:
Presided by artist Yan Pei-Ming
Bruno Cora, curator (Italy)
Cécile Debray, curator at Centre Georges Pompidou (France)
Lorand Hegyi, Director of the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Saint-Etienne (France)
Christophe Leribault, Director of the Petit Palais, Paris (France)
Brett Littman, Director of the Drawing Art Center of New York (USA)
Victoria Noorthoorn, curator (Argentina)
Chiara Rosenblum, collector (France / USA)
Philippe van Cauteren, Art Director of S.M.A.K, Gand (Belgium)
The Canson® Prize for Art and Paper
Since 2010, the Canson® Foundation has awarded the annual Canson® Prize through a jury presided by a leading figure from the world of art and culture to an artist whose work demonstrates innovation in the world of Art and Paper, not matter what the technique of choice is: drawing, painting, collage, sculpture… (except pure photography)